- nounan American whose first language is Spanish• Hypernyms: ↑American• Hyponyms: ↑criollo
* * *nounUsage: capitalized S&A1. : a native or inhabitant of a Spanish-American country especially of Spanish descent — compare latin american2. : a resident of the United States whose native language is Spanish and whose culture is of Spanish origin — compare anglo-american
* * *1. a person of Latin-American descent living in the U.S.2. a person of Spanish descent living in the U.S.3. a native or inhabitant of a Spanish-American country.
* * *Span|ish-A|mer|i|can «SPAN ihsh uh MEHR uh kuhn», adjective.1. of or having to do with Spain and America, or with Spain and the United States: »
Spanish-American relations.2. a) of or having to do with the parts of America where Spanish is the principal language. b) of or having to do with Americans whose origin or descent is from such parts.Spanish American,1. a person born or living in a Spanish-American country, especially a person of Spanish descent.2. Southwestern U.S. a person born in the United States whose parents or forebears were from a part of America where Spanish is the principal language.
* * *noun, pl ⋯ -cans [count]: a person living in the U.S. whose native language is SpanishSpanish-American adj
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Spanish-American — [span′ishə mer′i kən] adj. 1. of both Spain and America 2. of Spanish America or its people or culture n. a person born or living in Spanish America, esp. one of Spanish descent … English World dictionary
Spanish American — Infobox Ethnic group group = Spanish American es. Hispano Americano caption = Notable Spanish Americans: Rita Hayworth·Joseph A. Unanue·Nathalia Ramos Joanna García·Michael Lopez Alegria·Martin Sheen· flagicon|Spain flagicon|USApoptime =… … Wikipedia
spanish-american — | ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷| ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷ adjective Usage: usually capitalized S&A 1. : of, relating to, or characteristic of the countries of America in which Spanish is the national language 2. : of, relating to, or characteristic of communities or sections… … Useful english dictionary
Spanish-American — /span ish euh mer i keuhn/, adj. 1. noting or pertaining to the parts of America where Spanish is the prevailing language. 2. pertaining to Spain and America, sometimes to Spain and the United States: an example of Spanish American cooperation. 3 … Universalium
Spanish American — 1. a person of Latin American descent living in the U.S. 2. a person of Spanish descent living in the U.S. 3. a native or inhabitant of a Spanish American country. * * * … Universalium
Spanish American — noun Date: 1770 1. a native or inhabitant of one of the countries of America in which Spanish is the national language 2. a resident of the United States whose native language is Spanish and whose culture is of Spanish origin • Spanish American… … New Collegiate Dictionary
Spanish-American — /ˌspænɪʃ əˈmɛrɪkən/ (say .spanish uh merikuhn) adjective 1. denoting or relating to the parts of America where Spanish is the prevailing language. 2. relating to Spain and America, sometimes to Spain and the United States. –noun 3. a native or… … Australian English dictionary
Spanish-American — adjective see Spanish American … New Collegiate Dictionary
Spanish American — Span′ish Amer′ican n. 1) peo a citizen or resident of the U.S. of Spanish birth or descent 2) peo a descendant of the Spanish speaking population in parts of Mexico annexed by the U.S. as a result of the Texas revolt and the Mexican War 3) peo a… … From formal English to slang
Spanish-American — noun a native or inhabitant of the Spanish speaking countries of Central and South America. adjective relating to the Spanish speaking countries or peoples of Central and South America … English new terms dictionary